Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Veggie Wedgie Wednesday


Oh remember..............before all this cancer stuff I used to post veggie recipes and info on Wednesday..............well .......

Here's how I've been doing veggies lately:
Juicing as much as I can in the morning- and it actually does make you feel good drinking all that green sludge!

Here's on combo I do:
2 stalks of celery
1 half of large cucumber
1 small apple
1 handful of sprouts
1 handful of spinach
5-8 sprigs of parsley
and as much dandelion as I feel like picking in the morning

Juice it up (which is usually 1 minute in my VitaMix)
FYI: I have to use a spoon unless I add some water and then I can drink down

Cheers


A fellow blogger Annie gave me some great information concerning local honey and I am so excited because around here (upstate NY) the pollen has been bad for people with allergies like my hubby and son. I thankfully do not have allergies- lucky me.




Annie wrote this:

"It's best when grown w/in 10 miles of where you live. I'm not sure if you can find it that close, but I know it can help with allergies, (like an immunization, you are ingesting the localized pollen to build your own immunities) as well as it's a great antifungal/ antibacterial agent."

I thought that was so cool


I have been eating fruits and vegetables when ever I can and they are usually raw- due to the fact I don't have time or energy to cook them. I'm in love with apples, watermelon, avocados and tomatoes lately.


I promised to post my tofu recipe so here it is:

I 1st had marinated tofu at Down to Earth in Endicott- and then searched for a recipe.
I started with this recipe:
Sesame Ginger Baked Tofu

2 Containers of firm or extra firm tofu
1/3c Soy Sauce
3/4c Water
1 tbsp Fresh Ginger
3 cloves Garlic
1 1/2 tbsp Sesame Oil
2tbsp Sesame Seeds

I cut the tofu blocks into triangles- I actually cut the block in half so I have to rectangles and then cut into triangles- Ya know so the block aren't super thick.

Mix everything except the sesame seeds and pour over the tofu in shallow glass dish and marinate for at least 30 minutes.

PreHeat Oven to 425 and lightly grease baking sheet. Put tofu on sheet and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 30minutes- rotate if needed and drizzle more marinade and bake another 15 minutes or until liquid is almost dry.

Now Lucas being fussy- I took out the ginger and only used a little garlic- and he only recently let me add the seeds! Lucas also seems to like Tamari sauce over some soy sauces. You can be creative with your tofu; use your favorite soy sauce, switch out the sesame oil for peanut oil, or use some rice wine. Next time I may try and use my Braggs Liquid Aminos instead of the Tamari.
I've been walking 2 miles everday with my hand weights, but it's slow going with losing weight- THANK GOD- I can feel the difference in my strength- because it can be very discouraging sometimes.
My body can't really do much more than that yet- I am so tired at night. I'll get there

3 comments:

Amy D said...

Hi D-

All I read was your title and thought she is feeling life without cancer & treatment- yay for you!!!

Wow I am impressed with all that you are doing. Slow and steady don't burn yourself out. Please, please drink my share of the veggie shakes because I can't stomach the thought or taste of them-ha. I remember you always made them before. That is a very interesting fact about honey. Like you I am blessed without allergies, but poor Keith has them wrotten this year(like others). So how does he incorporate honey into diet? I should google that.

Take care and keep up the great work- you truly are remarkable!

Love ya
Amy

Annie said...

This is for Amy (an you too Danielle), an article about honey and allergies:
http://www.pioneerthinking.com/to_honey.html

Annie said...

and THANKS for the tofu recipe. I can't wait to try it- I know my kids will love it. And good thinking with the Braggs instead of soy!!