Tuesday, December 21, 2010

My Breast Cancer Tips

Because I've met a couple new girls I am re posting this today- to make it easy for them.
 I think it is better put together than before
Please pray for the newly diagnosed

Me in my favorite wig from
Paradise Wigs on Clinton Street in Binghamton NY
also bought wigs from WigSalon.com

So here are my tips just in case there is someone out there in need- I'll add to it as I go along.....

As soon as we found out we called our priest, and started calling anyone and everyone we knew who had any information on breast cancer, friends, family, doctors ans so on.

My priest gave me the sacrament of Anointing of the Sick and Forgave me of all my sins- This was definitely the start of me letting go of anything bad in my life and start the spiritual healing journey which was KEY for me!

I started a notebook at the time of my diagnosis that in the beginning included all my doctor info as well as appointments, directions, cancer info and so on. In the back of my notebook I started my list of survivors, nurses- i knew and could ask questions, breast cancer experts and other breast cancer patience's addresses and phone numbers.

Remember to include pages for tips and also a page of important quotes you hear from people. It helped me to read and say a loud inspiring things people told me.

I also started a prayer packet which included scriptures I would receive from healing masses and people in general. I collected prayer cards an cards that were just plain great to read over and over again. I also had my priest number with me at all times because no matter what he would be there and remind of God. I prayed every morning and night and anytime I felt sick with fear and doubt.

I also carried with me a special little case which included a chaplet (St. Theresa prayer beads) a cross Rob made me and a guardian angle. So whenever I went to an appointment and found myself alone (which no matter how much family and friends you have you end up somewhere sitting, laying, standing alone) waiting for a test of something I could pull out my beads and pray or just plain hold my cross.

Other things like books, articles, websites, prayer:

I linked to as many things as I could for more info-anything in grey is a link to that item.  Just click on the grey words and it will take you there. 

Information concerning women and hormones:
A couple of things I would read about if you don't have breast cancer.....concerning hormone balance

What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Breast Cancer- Dr. John R Lee, MD

Breast Cancer or Not - A Woman Owned Company with a lot of Information for women- Emerita
Products for PMS- Menopause- Hormone stuff- some of which I can not have due to my cancer being hormonal- Estrogen Positive.

Ok the stuff that helped me with my cancer and now helps me to heal myself.............

ARTICLES

Kris Carr- inspirational (stage4) cancer survivor with a book, DVD, and Blog- I love all of them.

Healing Power of Pilates Article- Good for Bone Density

Weight Gain During Chemo Article

In Sickness and In Health- article for married couples dealing with diagnosis.

Weak Body Strong Bond- an inspiring article from a couple dealing with chronic illness. This couples love will blow you away. Thinking about them got me through more than a couple hard days.

My Journey through Breast Cancer by Pin Cevallos-Schnabel- this beautiful Surgeon talks about her journey
This was sent to me early on by my Best Friend Leann- huge help to me!


WEBSITES

I was so lucky to be a patient at Sloan Kettering in NY- I honestly don't know how I could have gone anywhere else.  It is one of the top Hospitals in the world for Breast Cancer- there were people from all over the world and all different ages.
All the breast cancer Patient Information Booklet at Sloan Kettering
they have great patient booklets on caring for yourself during treatment, surgery, and so on.
Sloan Kettering Website has a lot of information on Breast Cancer and not the least bit scary. Don't forget they have a section that will tell you about herbs interacting with your treatment.

Herb listings and information- check any herbs you are using

BreastCancer.org- Awesome woman forums to help you along the way for support and they always have the lastest Breast Cancer update- on their 1st page.

American Cancer Society Complimentary and Alternative Medicine

National Center for Complimentary and Alternative Medicine

Dr. Susan Love's Website- love it!- this website is great- it can answer a lot of questions and has sections
for the different types of breast cancer- super easy.

No Surrender Breast Cancer Foundations (founded by Gina—triple negative survivor)

CURE today website- you can get their magazine as well.

Dr. Wayne Dyer- wonderful man....I need to get one of his books- his website is wonderful.

Products for Breast Cancer Girls especially us mastectomy girls- Amoena
God Bless this Company!

LOOK GOOD FEEL BETTER- Tips on wigs and make-up during treatment. You can also sign up for a class in your area.

The National Lymphedema Network - For Lymphedema- Lastest news


Myers Center- Massage & Lymphedema- Alana McKercher Myers is a wonderful practioner and educator of all things Lymphedema related!  Wonderful
Crazy Sexy Life- Kris Carr's website- She is living with Stage 4- untreatable cancer.
My Crazy Sexy Life- a holistic network of great people

Society of the Little Flower- this is where you can learn about St. Therese and purchase mass cards and other items of St. Therese items. They have the Chaplet I used at my appointments.


Eat Organic- check out Environmental Working Groups list of the least pesticide fruits/veggies- so if you can't buy organic- these are safer than others.

BOOKS / I bought some in CDS for in the car

Anti-Cancer- David Servan-Schreiber

The China Study- T. Colin Campbell, Thomas M Campbell II, Howard Lyman and John Robbins

Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips- Kris Carr

The Only Answer to Cancer- Dr. Leonard Coldwell

The Power of Positive Thinking- Dr. Norman Vincent Peale

Story of a Soul- Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux- she is the greatest saint of modern times.

Intimacy after Breast Cancer- Gina M. Maisano (triple negative survivor)

Getting Well Again- Carl Simonton

Breaking the Food Seduction – Neal Barnard

Daily Word for Women- Zuck, Wright, and Meyer

Chemotherapy Survival Guide- McKay and Schacher- a MUST READ before Chemo

The Cancer Lifeline Cookbook- Marthai and Smith

The Cancer Fighting Kitchen- Rebecca Katz
CLEAN- Alejandro Junger MD

The PH Miracle- Robert Young Phd. and Sheley Redford Young

Catholic Book of Prayers- this is great if you are Catholic - it has all the prayers, mysteries, stations of the cross, mass information.

Staying Abreast- a book with exercises for breast surgery patients- also includes information on lymphedema (this is something women like me have to watch for-our lymph nodes were taken out of our arm so we need to take precautions)

Remember the following books are old, but I enjoyed reading them- Dr. Ann Wigmore does have more books and she does have an energy soup that wasn't yet around at the time of Eydie Mae's journey.

How I Conquered Cancer Naturally- a woman's journey through breast cancer
by Eydie Mae

Be Your Own Doctor- A positive guide to natural living
by Ann Wigmore


Audio Books

Getting Ready by Dr. Bernie Siegel- helps you prepare for surgery or treatment. Dr. Siegel has many wonderful books.

I also purchase the Power of Positive Thinking for my Car and also the China Study- because sometimes that's the only time I have free to get a book down is driving!

DVD

Kris Carr's Documentary


CDs

Stress Relief Through Guided Imagery- Martin L. Rossman, MD- I used this right from the start to deal with stress- LOVE IT.

Ison Pain Management System - David Ison- I used this in the hospital the night after my mastectomy for help with pain (which wasn't really bad).


Movies

The Doctor- if you have cancer experience you will relate- great movie!


Support
Doorways to Healing- This helped me more than just about anything! Healing emotionally from cancer was hard for me and this helped me so much.
I fear this organization will be out of funds and out of business as it is a not for profit.  If you can you should really try to go.  Nothing will do what this does- it's a weekend- a free and it is the most amazing healing.

Doorways To Healing
4 Coleman Ave
Elmira, NY 14905 tel 607 734-1751
Meredith Whitney – Pres/CEO
Provides educational workshops
I have attended the 1st Workshop and the Couples with Rob and it helped us so much as a couple!
Breast Cancer.Org

Network of Strength- 1-800-221-2141
You can talk to a survivor- I called them when I was going for a 2nd opinion for radiation and they helped me come up with some questions and sent me info on radiation.

Great People- Reach for Recovery- I signed up and was matched up with someone similar to my situation, this person can also give you a ton of information on the American Cancer Society and what they can do to help you.

Prayer

Prayer has played an enormous role in my fight and recovery- so many have prayed for me and I love Prayer as I was granted many blessings along my journey.

My Favorite Healing Prayer:

I believe this was written by Father Hess in Pennsylvania


Heavenly Father

Heavenly Father, I call on you right now in a special way. It is through your power that I was created. Every breath I take, every morning I wake, and every moment of every hour, I live under your power.

Father, I ask you now to touch me with that same power. For if you created me from nothing,you can certainly recreate me. Fill me with the healing power of your spirit. Cast out anything that should not be in me. Mend what is broken. Root out any unproductive cells. Open any blocked arteries or veins and rebuild any damaged areas. Remove all inflammation and cleanse any infection.

Let warmth of your healing love pass through my body to make new any unhealthy areas so that my body will function the way you created it to function.

And Father, restore me to full health in mind and body so that I may serve you the rest of my life.

I ask this through Christ our Lord.

Amen.

Attending healing mass also helped me. My church has one every week and another church has one once a month. Healing masses are good because they teach you how to deal with pain and suffering. Anyone can attend a healing mass. The priest will have experience with pain and suffering and it will be comforting- to see there are others out there dealing with pain.

For women taking Tamoxifen
LIST OF DRUGS THAT INTERFERE WITH TAMOXIFEN-CLICK HERE
Also no Grapefruit!

Radiation Stuff CLICK HERE

Reconstruction Stuff CLICK HERE
I wish I was better about organizing my Reconstruction info- you will have to click on my blog the label reconstruction and it will give you all posts that include talk of my reconstruction. It starts with the newest post and goes back unless you click on SHOW OLDER POSTS
I will say this- I have 1 breast removed and a tissue expander inserted to inflation of 600ccs
I had my implant put in after chemo- before radiation
I have the The Natrelle 410  implant also know as the Gummie Bear  which you can only get in certain hospitals because it's brand new and I'm in a trial.  It has been used for years in Europe.
I will have a nipple constructed with what I have (no skin graft) and then I will have my nipple tattooed for color.
Tissue expander were VERY uncomfortable for me and my Gummie Bear so comfortable- I think anything would be better than the expander.
And my good breast.....had to be reduced and that was nice - I loved that they did a pathology on it and everything was good.
No my breasts don't match- with clothes on no one knows and I have cleavage- I am happy I kept my breast- I wasn't ready to give all my girly stuff away yet.
My implant will have to be replaced in 10 years.

List of my doctors CLICK HERE

My list of supplements CLICK HERE

I know I've included a bunch of information-
If I had to choose only a couple of things to take on a Deserted Island- It would be:

My Crucifix and Bible, Healing Prayer, and St. Theresa Chaplet Case
AntiCancer Book
The Story of a Soul Book
The Power of Positive Thinking
Ipod with my Stress Relief through Guided Imagery and Christian Music along with Dance Music!
Father Caruso and Father G.- HEALERS of Faith and Health
Dr. Meredith Whitney (Emotional Healer)  and Dr. Monica Morrow (Surgeon)
 :)

I will try and get all tips on this one post. Meaning I will keep adding/updating it.

4 comments:

Sista B said...

Wow Danielle. Thank you for taking the time to post this - not only for those who have been diagnosed with cancer, but those who are supporting a loved one. You have given everyone a wealth of information. I pray for those recently diagnosed. You will be a great inspiration to them.

Love,
B

Danielle said...

Thanks Becky! Love you
Danielle

amy D said...

Oh i love you D!! this is a great post!! You are really a inspiration! I love that you have taken your trials and tribulations with cancer and turned it around with lots of information to help others!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the very helpful information. I am finally feeling good enough to use it. It was great to meet you and you truely are an inspiration for me.
-Michelle