Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Veggie Wedgie Wednesday

Guess what it is?
OK- I made this little mushroom looking thing out of my squash.

Yellow or Summer squash is always available but it's harvest time is May-July.
Yellow squash is an excellent source of manganese and vitamin C and a very good source of magnesium, Vitamin A ( through its concentration of carotenoids, including beta-carotene), fiber, potassium, folate, copper, riboflavin and phosphorus.

I know I am trying to fit in HEALTHY veggies with as little prep as possible BUT Rob bought one home from a farmer who told him to make it just this way:
Fried
with a little bit of salt and pepper
YUMMY

Like most people frying is not my favorite b/c it's messy and you have to watch it. There's no throwing in a load of laundry or any thing.

Can't leave the kitchen :(

So to make it not so bad I set up everything to make it as easy and quick as possible.

What you need-
Canola Oil
Italian bread crumbs
Egg whites- I had 1 squash and used 2 egg whites
Nonstick Spray
Spatula
Tongs
Pinch

Set up your bread crumbs, egg whites, and tray so that you have a little assembly line.


Ok-I use tongs to dip my squash, but you can use your hands it's just that it's messy.

I sprayed my pan with nonstick to make life easy. And Easy is the only reason why I used a cookie sheet to transport my Squash to the Pot.


After the egg white- lightly run them through the bread crumbs.

Notice they don't have to be totally coated; because too much breading will not be good.


Now in a fry pan or pot add enough canola oil to fry your squash.

I use a pot b/c it's less messy for me.

Add a little Pinch seasoning to my breaded squash before frying them.
You need to fry them till they are golden brown.


They were yummy!

The only other way I do squash is steamed with some margarine and pinch, but that is LAME.

Speaking of cooking I'm dying to see this movie:

Here is the real Julie-





No comments: