Tuesday, January 12, 2010

1 Down- 7 to GO!

Well it was a long day. We arrive at the doctor's office at 10:45 and I left around 5:30. It was busy day from the start
1st the hospital at home didn't fax over my MUGA scan so I had to frantically get on the phone with them (and I suck with my new phone). So that put me late getting to my appointment.

When we got there I didn't realize I needed my finger prick done 1st so I had to go downstairs for that and then back up for my appointment. My appointment was a physical with breast exam and a health questions. Then we went over my MUGA scan which looks at my heart valves and they were great. ( hope they stay that way). They went over a few side effects from the chemo drugs and took questions and we were off to the waiting room. #1 nurse then took us in to go over side effects of the drugs I will be taking at home. She also taught Rob how to give me a shot the day after treatment(this will increase my white blood cell count). He even got to practice.

Then back to the waiting room where a nurse came to talk to me about a study I sent my tumor off to. They would like to continue a follow up on me for their study so they asked for some of my blood if I wanted to..........well I did because any thing good they can learn from me if FINE by me. Maybe it'll save someone else.

After that the waiting was so crowded #1 nurse suggested we go down to the 2nd floor where there is a library, computers, the boutique and tons of chairs. I ate my lunch in the packed waiting room- but Rob was shy so he ate on the 2nd floor in peace. They took my cell phone number and said they would call when a room was ready. While there I phoned the dietitian to let her know where I was so she could talk with me about supplements I had been taking and any tips she had. She came down and looked over my bag of things and shot down everything except Vitamin D and my Magnesium as needed. So sad, but she did say that supplements are good just not at this time. The best way for me to get the stuff I need is through food. She also said she was going to put me in touch with a gentleman she knows who is doing a lot of research on mushrooms (that was my most exciting thing to try). She also said tons of water and only pasteurized juices. She also gave me a little book with sample meal plans. Then on the Memorial Sloan Kettering website they have a section where you can look up any vitamin or mineral and it has great info about reactions with meds. I was super excited to try tumeric, but while on chemo I can't (found that on Sloan website)




Ok - After a while I was called in and I felt good- I knew so many people were praying and pulling for me I felt good.....but creeping in the back of my mind was the killing of cells (the good guys too....the menopause thing still bothering me) BUT I didn't cry and thought I had it under control. I should have said a prayer that probably would have calmed me. As soon I was in the room I was given pills. Then she looked for a vein, took her time and got one and inserted the needle no problem. Drew the blood for the study. They then put in saline to check the flow in the the vein and I could feel it; it felt like ice water going up my arm. I didn't like the feeling but not a problem.
So then came time for my 1st drug and that would be put in the IV by the nurse who put it in with a syringe. Well I didn't watch much and then I felt terrible....dizzy, pain in my stomach and then the old "I don't feel so good", "What do you mean?", "I think I'm going to throw-up".

Rob went for the garbage can and the nurse got me a bag and I gagged a couple of times, no pills came up so that's good. The nurse said she would stop and go real slow. She said it was just anxiety because she hardly gave me anything and it wouldn't make me sick so fast. She then said that some doctors give an anti-anxiety before treatment and she can call mine and see if it was ok- If I wanted to. So I said yes. As long as I wasn't allergic to the chemo (because that scared me to - then I wouldn't even have the option of treatment) I wanted to get this done.

So got that drug right in the IV and proceeded slowly. Other than getting stuffed up and itchy eyes from the 1st drug the 2nd one went fine and I slept a bit in the car.....after eating soup from my new fav soup place.

After I felt a little weird, spacey- probably from the anti-anxiety meds. My eyes seemed a little off.... like slow. I almost felt like a touch of motion sickness.

So ONTO life at home. Took Meds. Felt a little sick, but ate morning cereal with Lucas and drove him to school.

  • Came home...ate crackers and ginger ale - I had started to feel cold and weak
  • Meditated
  • Wrote a mission statement for my chemo days ahead
  • Took a shower
  • Read a message from my friend Lori - reminding me to keep eating to fight nausea
  • Painted my nails
  • Rob got some music going and I danced some- we hugged for a while
  • Said my prayers
  • Drank water, little cottage cheese(the one that's good for your tummy), and a little V8
  • Went to work
  • Ate and apple when I got there and drank water
Here I am ready for work...... sorry skipped the make-up.


Well 1 Down...we'll see how the next one goes. Not so bad so far. I think they may get tougher as we go, but I feel good knowing I have such great family and friends!

Thanks- I love you!

4 comments:

Amy D said...

Oh D I am so proud of you!! I can't imagine the rush of emotions that were going through you but I am sure it was overwhelming. You are such a trooper and you taking that picture showed it. Oh I wanted to tell you I was talking with my coworker that is on heavy chemo and she said the Dr. told her that she probably won't lose any hair, just thin out a little. Also another coworker came back on Monday after his battle with cancer and he said he never lost his hair and never got sick during chemo and he had long and strong treatments. I know the treatment is different based on your stage and cancer but just wanted to share what these two endured as that is good words to hear. Take care darling.

Love and prayers
Amy

Anonymous said...

Danielle,

You are doing great!!!!! Drink lots of water and think good thoughts!!! We are all concentrating on you doing well through all of this and we know you will!!!

I say a prayer for you everyday as I know many people are.

Think positive thoughts - you're doing great!!!!!

Elaine

Sista B said...

When I talked to Rob the other day he said you were meditating. I thought, WOW, Danielle is doing EVERYTHING in her power to fight this and get through this. You are an inspiration! Meditating, praying, eating right, etc. Your attitude through this process will make a HUGE difference. Continue to not give up and move forward. You are so brave and you are so loved. I admire you and support you!

Love, B

P.S. - (totally unrealated) Do you ever wonder where they get these word verifications from? Mine was flucknap.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Danielle -
you are such a brave girl. What a scary, hard thing to go through. You are so amazing!!! And you look beautiful too!

Thinking of you and sending you big hugs. Praying for you every day.

XOXO
Jen