Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Some really important people


This holiday season some of my favorite gifts have been people. These people are not my family but really good friends!

Father Caruso- our pastor. What a great man. I couldn't have asked for a better pastor. He has anointed me before each of my surgeries and offered up mass for me as well as asked his mother to pray for me. He is also responsible for leading me closer to St. Theresa. I called him one day when I was having difficulty believing my scriptures and he talked with me and told me about St. Theresa and her scruples. When I was sick he gave us his cell phone and offered a set of keys to the church so Rob could go and pray in church during my surgeries.

This Christmas we were invited to an Open House at the rectory (where Father lives) and it was wonderful. Father had 22 trees in his house all decorated with a different theme. He also had a ton of food there; a lot of which he mad himself. I do love my parish and when the time comes for Father to move on to another parish I will be fine because he has taught me a lot.


My best friend Leann! Leann has been writing to me ever since she left for college. Leann always knows the perfect times to send the perfect card and gift. Right before Christmas I received the cutest card and this gift:

Leann is the best friend anyone could ever had. She has been there through some of my worse times and best times. She may have not been there in person, but she spoke to many of times on the phone and got me through.

When I was younger I LOVED Cindy Lauper! Leann said Cindy Lauper reminds her of me and that makes my heart skip a beat. I haven't listened to Cindy in a long time and it couldn't come at a better time because when I listen to this CD I remember the person I used to be way before Lucas was even a thought. Gee I loved life so much and felt like I could and be anything. Listening to this CD makes me love life even more and feel like I could do anything. As I got older I lost that stuff somewhere between leaving high school and turning 40. Ok I think I've almost always loved life as much as I could, but now I love it even more! LOL

Maricel- she is a young lady I shared a room with at Sloan when I had my mastectomy. A couple of weeks ago when I was getting an expansion she happened to be at the Lauder Breast Center getting her 2nd chemo treatment. After my appointment Rob and I darted over there and I was able to sit with her a bit in her chemo suite and we exchanged Christmas presents. I bought Maricel a green hat and gloves with the index and thumb fingers cut out. Why were they cut out???? Think about it.......so she can wear her gloves and still use her cell! I thought they were really cool.
Maricel gave this:

It's been great keeping in touch with Maricel. That first night after surgery was hard and painful, but she had a much bigger surgery than me....I guess you can say she went with the hybrid surgery. I went the easy way for now....until I need to change out my implant. Can't even go there at this point. Maricel is the sweetest girl and during the night after surgery her machine kept beeping and she would apologize and my heart would melt because everything she has been through she still had the heart to apologize to me. Maricel is golden.

The little girl down back. A neighbor girl used to walk up to my house in the summer and play with Karl and eat cookies. Well since I've been sick I missed her when she would stop by and she heard I was sick. Her mom told me she was worried about "Her Danielle". Well yesterday, the coldest day yet she walked all the way up to our house to see me, but I was at work. How sweet and thoughtful. This morning I dropped her off some balloons before I went to work. She is so sweet; she will even bring my garbage cans from the curb to the garage when she gets off the school bus.

3 comments:

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Danielle, that is so sweet of you to comment and read my blog!- From what I gathered you have breast cancer. Is this your first time? Is this your first cancer? When did you find out? If you have a blog post that answers all these questions, you can tell me which one if you don't want to answer all these questions!- I saw your picture and you are beautiful. I also read from your latest post that you are a Christian, that is what is going to get you through this. Much love-

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Danielle -
I am so glad that you are surrounded by people that love you! I just wanted you to know that you have been on my mind since I heard.

{One of my best friends went through breast cancer two years ago with a double mastectomy, chemo, radiation and reconstruction (she was 37 at the time) and is doing great now.}

((hugs))
Jen

Unknown said...

Danielle...Danielle, Danielle, Danielle....wow, an amazing compliment from an amazing friend! I used to think I was merely lucky to know you, much less have you as one of the most important people in my life but through this experience, I now know that I am BLESSED to call you my best friend too.
I love you!
Leann