Monday, June 15, 2009

Swine Flu


Well I'm pretty sure Lucas picked up the Swine flu while away on that school trip. The school confirmed 5 cases, but there were many more. The state only allows a certain amount of swabs for a school; so out of the 8, 5 were swine.

I'm glad I didn't know sooner because I would have been a wreck. I realized the kids picked up something on the trip when almost everyone I talked to had a sick child. One mother mentioned Swine and I thought- no. So after going on-line and reading NYC had 500+ case and areas surrounding NYC had 300 I began to wonder. Then I kept picturing all those kids from all over the place.

Here's how it went down for Lucas: Sunday morning- headache

Sunday afternoon- real flush and temp of 101, ate dinner but went to bed early with a cough and pain in his throat.

Woke me up middle of the night with a fever, but he fights puking so none of that.

Monday: had a fever between 101-102.3 all day long. Slept all day and most of the night. This is something Lucas never does and definitely scared me. He did get up to go to the bathroom and it was diarrhea. I kept checking on him and slept in his room.
Monday middle of the night threw up and fever broke.

Tuesday: went to my mothers and showered but keep a low key attitude.

Wednesday: went to school, but still a cough and didn't look good.
Thursday: went to school, still cough and didn't look good.

Friday: feeling better but still a cough. The school held mini interviews and based on what they found out you could have been sent home. Lucas was pulled to be sent home.

I called Lucas' doctor and they arranged to see Lucas and also gave me a note stating he could return to school on Monday. This was based on the fact that he hadn't had a fever for 7 days.

Saturday: Lucas slept in and still had a cough

Sunday: Lucas slept in till 10:30 and said he felt the best he's felt in a couple of days.

Monday: still coughing and couldn't eat breakfast but back at school.
The nurse informed us the cough will last a couple of weeks.
So we survived the Swine flu! I just hope Rob and I don't get it. I was very diligent about washing all bed clothes, towels, and entire bathroom. The thing is there were so many kids sick and it's probably only a matter of time before it's all over the place.
The New York State Health Department has a hot line (1-800-808-1987), but it's up to you to decide when to go to the doctor's. There are certain things to watch for! Some times Tamiflu is used to treat symptoms.

Another thing I learned is that if you were born before 1957 you are less risk to get the Swine flu. From around 1918-1957 you may have picked up a flu and gained an immunity to Swine.
I'm so glad Lucas is doing better! I love him so much!

No comments: