Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Veggie Wedgie Wednesday

Italian Green Beans
Here's another great site for Veggies:
Green Beans are in season in the SUMMER!
Green beans, while quite low in calories (just 43.75 calories in a whole cup), are loaded with enough nutrients to not only power up the Jolly Green Giant, but to put a big smile on his face. Green beans are an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin K and manganese. Plus green beans are very good source of vitamin A (notably through their concentration of carotenoids including beta-carotene), dietary fiber, potassium, folate, and iron. And, green beans are a good source of magnesium, thiamin, riboflavin, copper, calcium, phosphorus, protein, omega-3 fatty acids and niacin.
Well this recipe is easy but not so detailed. Sorry. I couldn't find the recipe details.
When buying green beans you know they are good by their firmest and snappability!
OK- Recipe
You need
Garlic - about 3-6 cloves
Olive Oil- 2 Tablespoons
Butter or Margarine- about a 1/2-1 Tablespoon
Bacon about 2-5 slices already cooked
I used 1 package of fresh Italian Green Beans
You need put the oil in a pan and saute the garlic. *Be careful* Garlic can burn! Wait till it is past clear and turning golden. I actually put the cooked bacon in 1st and laid the garlic on top of the bacon to let the garlic warm up some; thinking I would be less likely to burn it that way. After a while I let the garlic actually touch the pan with all their goodness.
My Beans I steamed with my microwave steamer. I steamed till they were still hard like I like them.
When garlic/bacon/oil mixture is done you toss everything together. YUM
You need to add seasoning as you see fit. We could have used a little more on mine.
Add I finally took a picture of one of my veggies!!

Here's a past Veggie update. Swiss Chard- I purchased some from the grocery store and Rob didn't like. :(

Well I decided to make myself a little inspiration board at home- Just to keep me going-

I'm totally enjoying these flowers my mom brought me from her house. They smell up the place! I have to stop and smell the roses even though I'm disgusted- RIGHT?

No comments: