Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Veggie Wedgie Wednesday- Kale


Veggie Wedgie Wednesday

Kale is in season during middle of winter till the beginning of spring, but you can always find kale in the grocery store.

Well kale was hard because I wasn't crazy about it. Because it is so good for us and hearty I had to come up with something.

Kale is a great source of Vitamin A which is good for lung health, it protects against different cancers and rheumatoid arthritis, great source of Vitamin C, and it has great cleansing ability. It also has manganese which helps with energy, and it's also an antioxidant. Is that good enough reason to eat your kale! Oh and it's great a fiber buddy.

I was working on recipes for veggies that were little work and for kale the best way I fit it in is my Morning Smoothie! You don't really even taste the kale. Here's what I do- 1 cup of either soy or rice chocolate milk, 1/2-1 banana, and 1/2-1 cup of frozen blueberries, and 1-2 leaves of kale with out the stem. The key I heard and it seems to work is break up the kale a little bit before and add it last. I use a VitaMix mixer and mix for 1 minute. Sometimes if I want to get some yogurt in I also add a cup of yogurt. Depending on how much you want to drink you can adjust the amounts.

Play around with your smoothie- there are endless things you can try.
Smoothies can be high in WW points, but you will get some really good marks for using fruits and vegetables that are healthy. I myself do track how many fruits and veggies I consume.

Other than this I like soup with sausage, kale and beans! This is more time consuming, but if you make enough you can have it for dinner and lunch the next day.

Here's the recipe:
Like others I used canned beans and that cut down on time.
Check out the fiber-
Nutritional Information
Spanish Style White Bean and Sausage Soup
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 226
Total Fat: 8.3g
Cholesterol: 5mg
Sodium: 1059mg
Total Carbs: 29.7g
Dietary Fiber: 8.4g
Protein: 11.4g
And since you have kale in your house you can try this for less fat snack- Baked Kale Chips (google it) I've made them and Lucas even eats them.

Lately Rikki Lake has been my celebrity inspiration
I guess she did Food delivery from Freshing Dining- but she's still inspiring!

I have researched food delivery- but 1. some are real expensive and 2. what if I don't like the stuff.

Here's a rating of some of the food delivery services-

No comments: