Friday, April 2, 2010

Radiation is yes.


Well my doctor (radiation oncologist) recommends radiation to my breast (foob). I will only need it to the breast where my tumor was. He couldn't give me any stats because there were none for my case. It's rare that my tumor attached to the skin. It attached but hadn't come through - if it had it is normal protocol to radiate the breast. I also had some lymphatic involvement- very small isolated amount but it was there.

No radiation to my arm- THANK GOD because I'm a candidate for lymphedema. I have to be careful with my arm where they took 14 nodes out. I take certain precautions. Radiation to that arm will increase chance of lymphedema. So we were happy about that.

I'm super nervous about my implant getting ruined and then having to go on to reconstruction with my own tissue. And then there is a chance I won't be able to reconstruction at all. YIKES

But very much ok- because I would be alive and that's what's important.

I'm getting a second opinion- well sort of. I'm trying to find out if another facility could do the same radiation. I will def have radiation as Dr. Powell suggested because he is very knowledgeable and I trust him.

I'm also doing some research on radiation after mastectomy- because it is sort of on the edge- meaning some are for it and some are not. To me with what I have they can't possibly know if I will have recurrence on my breast -but I would feel more at peace knowing I did all I could to stop it.

I'm a bit worn out because going to appointments like this make me nervous- I don't much like going over my pathology report. I'm always in the category as YOUNG and AGGRESIVE and now RARE bothers me. I guess being young and having an aggressive tumor calls for aggressive action.

So Monday is TREATMENT 7- so excited!!! I'm excited to wear my #7 bracelet made by Mallory and I think I'm going to wear one of my scarves my friend Krista sent me.

Thrusday is my 2nd appointment with a radiation oncologist

And the following Monday April 12th is my appointment at the plastic surgeon's office- which will be sad because now I need radiation.

I'm so thankful for my friends! Amy came to visit. Vicki is always checking on me! Amber even when she's down checks on my. My Doctor who found my tumor actually called to see how I was doing. High School friends pray and check on me. Carrie always gets emails and cards out to me and today seeing a picture of Lucas' little sis was a treat! I always wanted to have a sibling and it's great to her little face.

Rob's grandma always calls and leaves sweet messages and tells us she loves us.

I'm amazed at how JenJen keeps me in her thoughts.

Our Nephew Nolan and Nana making me an Easter card and choc cover strawberries!

My Niece Natalie gave me a beautiful plant in an Easter basket!

Very thankful for my Mom, Dad,my bro and Nicole, Rob's mom and dad, Becky and Jason.
ALSO ROB and LUCAS who I know are getting sick and tired of me. I promise I'll be back!
I know I've forgotten someone, but I'll remember!

I'm trying to perk up for Easter, but this whole radiation thing has gotten me a little down and researching info on the web can be very upsetting to me.

So I'll try and get outside some with Lucas.

3 comments:

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

I love ya my friend! You are in my prayers every night.

I don't know if my friend Jenifer ever got in touch with you. She has had a crazy year. But I know I told you, she was 37 when her cancer was discovered, it was an aggressive cancer. She had chemo and she did radiation too. Her only problem with radiation was some slight burning of the skin at the radiation site. I don't know if that helps or not. She told me it wasn't as bad as she thought it was going to be.

Good luck - you are doing so great! I have a special something that I made for you. I will get it in the mail this week.

((hugs))
Jen

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Here's a link to my friend's blog. She hasn't been updating it lately - but it has all of her thoughts going through cancer and radiation.

http://kenjenjohnson.blogspot.com/

XOXO
Jen

Danielle said...

Thanks a ton for that Jen!
I will look up that blogspot
Love D