Thursday, February 18, 2010

Lent Begins

I wanted to do something special for Lent and this year and I had a hard time deciding. I would usually give up something I really enjoy like diet soda or chocolate, but this year it's different for me.

So I was at a loss and then something mysteriously came to me. Yesterday I was at my old house with Rob going through things to pack up and bring home. I ended up bringing home a couple of boxes and I came across a prayer card.

It was similar to this card-
Going through chemo during Lent is a blessing because no matter how hard things seem I can think of Jesus carrying the cross for me and my problems seem very small. It also reminds me that he carried that cross for all my sins so that I could be saved.

So during Lent
I will say my Rosary every night and meditate on the correct mysteries.
I will say Grace before every meal.
I will say the Prayer to the Shoulder Wound of Jesus every night.
I will wear the medal during lent to remind me of Jesus carrying the cross.
I will also follow along in the Lenten book given out at church.

Here is how the Prayer to the Shoulder Wound of Jesus came about:
(found on my prayer card)
It is related in the annals of Clairvaux that St. Bernard asked Our Lord which was His greatest unrecorded suffering and Our Lord answered: "I had on My Shoulder, while I bore My Cross on the Way of Sorrows, a grievous Wound, which was more painful than the others and which is not recorded by men. Honor this Wound with thy devotion and I will grant thee whatsoever thou dost ask through Its virtue and merit. And in regard to all those who shall venerate this Wound, I will remit to them all their venial sins and will no longer remember their mortal sins."

Prayer to the Shoulder Wound of Jesus
O Loving Jesus, meek Lamb of God, I a miserable sinner, salute and worship the most Sacred Wound of Thy Shoulder on which Thou didst bear Thy heavy Cross, which so tore Thy Flesh and laid bare Thy Bones as to inflict on Thee an anguish greater than any other Wound of Thy Most Blessed Body. I adore Thee, O Jesus most sorrowful; I praise and glorify Thee and give Thee thanks for this most sacred and painful Wound, beseeching Thee by that exceeding pain and by the crushing burden of Thy heavy Cross to be merciful to me, a sinner, to forgive me all my mortal and venial sins, and to lead me on towards Heaven along the Way of Thy Cross. Amen.

No comments: