Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Veggie Wedgie Wednesday- Sweet Potato

I love sweet potatoes! Mostly because I only have to bake them and add some margerine or butter. Sometimes I even add a little bit of brown sugar- YUMMY!

This root vegetable is as an excellent source of vitamin A (in the form of beta-carotene), a very good source of vitamin C and manganese, and a good source of copper, dietary fiber, vitamin B6, potassium and iron.

Sweet potatoes can be found in your local markets year-round, however they are in season in November and December.

Read more here:
When deciding on method of cooking, roasting is considered better than boiling.

Bake a sweet potato

Pre-heat the oven to 350° to 375°.
Wash the potato lightly to remove dirt without breaking the skin then dry with a paper towel. Pierce the skin a couple of times with a fork to allow steam to escape and prevent possible bursting in oven.
DO NOT wrap in foil as you will get a soggy potato (the steam didn't escape) instead of the desired texture.

Place potato(s) on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake for 45-55 minutes (depending on the size of the potato).

Test potato for doneness by squeezing gently...if done the potato will be slightly soft.

Serve immediately.

I have to admit at times I just microwave my sweet potato. I wrap it in cling wrap and mic for 4 minutes, check it and keep going if not soft.
When you purchase a sweet potato they last about 10days in a cool well ventilated spot.
What goes good with Sweet Potatoes?
Grilled Chicken!
A note on Kentucky Grilled Chicken- It's good and better for us watching our figure. An Original Recipe breast has about 370 calories where a Grilled Breast contains 180! I've added BBQ sauce (Dinosaur BBQ Sauce) to my grilled chicken when I brought it home and that was really good too. I better stop- I am fasting and now I'm getting a little hungry for some KFC. I do love that stuff.
Here's more nutritional info on the grilled chicken:



No comments: